Sunday, December 26, 2010

Making Your Own Ghee Is Easy To Do & Healthy For You

Store bought ghee is often contaminated with mold and fungus. 


Mold growing on food is not always visible. To learn more about mold on food here are two links.






I finally learned how to make ghee on Christmas Eve.

Ghee is often used in East Indian cooking. Ghee is suppose to be healthier for you than butter. Ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer to remove all the moisture. The milk solids are browned (caramelized) in the fat and then strained out and removed. This gives ghee a delicious rich nutty taste. Ghee is superior to butter because it does not contain the impurities butter contains which are the saturated fat & milk solids. Ghee is said to contain phenolic antioxidants, which bolster the immune system. Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter. That is a big advantage when cooking with ghee.

Ghee is an important part of Ayurvedic Medicine. It is said to aid digestion, memory loss and inflammation. 

I have watched videos on youtube before of people making ghee in a huge pots on their stove and it always appeared to be difficult to make your own. One of my friends told me it is also messy to make so I always bought mine even if my favorite kind of ghee was rather expensive. A 32 ounce jar is $39.50.

My health practitioner called me recently. She is incredibly intuitive and very often psychic. She told me my cholesterol was high. I was a bit shocked and then I realized I was leaning on a giant jar of ghee I had bought when she told me that. We both laughed and she said it was the jar of ghee. I don’t think she knew what ghee is before because another time when I mentioned ghee she did not know what it was. She then said. “Do not eat anymore from that jar of ghee it is full of mold and fungi.”

That statement did not make me happy. I am trying to follow a candida diet so eating anything that contained more mold or fungus was the opposite of what I wanted to achieve. Most people with Lyme disease have candida even if they have not taken antibiotics as part of their treatment. I took antibiotics for probably about two years. One of my idiot doctors had prescribed some Cholestyramine for me to help with mold exposure. I took the CSM for days before I noticed it contained fructose. Fructose feeds candida fungus and mold and it obviously was feeding my candida because my skin became itchy since had I started taking it. That was a huge mistake!

My friend told me a few days after my health practitioner called that store bought ghee can often be contaminated with mold. I asked her where she heard that and she replied: “I read it in the Gut And Psychology Syndrome book and in The GAPS Guide....it's also emphasized on the GAPS website I believe.”

After two messages that store bought ghee might contain mold I knew it was time to learn to make my own ghee using organic butter. I wondered if I could. I love ghee and make dal which is East Indian spit mung bean soup often. The recipe I use requires ghee. I tried making dal with coconut oil and another time with olive oil and it just did not have the same wonderful flavor as it does when I include ghee.

Ghee is a healthy fat. Dr. Klinghardt recommends ghee as part of his HPU/KPU kyptopyrroluria protocol.  If you would like to learn more about HPU/KPU and how it can affect people with Lyme disease or Autism go to this link. This video is lengthy yet fascinating.


Dr. Klinghardt recommends ghee because it contains omega-6 oils.


Dr. Mercola recommends eating extra ghee for constipation. 

Here is a recipe my friend shared with me for making ghee in the oven. This recipe was super easy and to me seemed much easier than making ghee on the stovetop not that I have made it on a stovetop yet.


After the butter was done cooking in the oven I strained it through cheese cloth with the use of a wire strainer. Next time I would let the butter cool first. You can find many more ghee recipes online and watch videos on how to make it on youtube.


Some tips on making ghee written by an East Indian woman. They are discussing ghee made on a stove:

“Ghee, of course, has to be made right. When the moisture is fully evaporated from the butter, you are left with butter fat. The result is liquid gold, emitting a nutty aroma. This is strained, removing the toasty solids that settle on the bottom of the pan. These solids are flavorful and edible, especially with rice. The filtered fliud is Ghee. Just store it in a clean, dry stainless steel/glass/ceramic container with a fitting lid. The ghee solidifies in the cold and can be scooped. In the summer it stays fluid. Just remember to use clean, dry utensils while spooning ghee out.

Ghee will become solid at room temperature and is best stored in a glass jar. Do not pour your ghee out of the saucepan until it has cooled to a warm temperature that is safe to touch. When we make ghee, we usually make a large quantity by using 3-5 lbs of butter. The shelf-life of ghee is 6 months to many years. If your ghee would become moldy in the next few months, then the water and milk-fat were not fully removed and the ghee should be discarded.”



To sum up this blog on ghee because I can tell from the comments I have received on facebook about it people are not really reading the whole thing. Store bought ghee is often CONTAMINATED with MOLD & FUNGUS. It is easy to make your own ghee in the OVEN. A link to an easy recipe for making it in the oven is included. 




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete